When asked what my favorite fruit is, my response is always MANGO! I’ve always loved mangoes and didn’t realize until recently that although many people like the delicious fruit, a lot of folks have no clue how to cut them. Poor mangoes get less attention than they deserve because people don’t want to deal with cutting into them. If you can identify with this, this post will change your life…or at least your relationship with mangoes!
First things first. In my opinion, mangoes taste best cold so when the mango seems somewhat ripe, put it in the fridge to chill before you eat it.
Mango Cutting Tips:
1. Hold the Mango with the skinny tip of the seed on the plate or cutting board.
2. Cut next to the seed, toward the plate. Rotate the mango around and cut down the other side of the seed. (Don’t throw the seed away yet!)
3. Cut horizontally and then vertically down the mango half but don’t puncture the skin. Your slices should look like a grid.
4. Turn the mango half inside out. This is such a pretty decoration and makes the mango easy to eat! You can eat the squares right off of the skin or cut them off and eat with a fork.
5. Now for the best part! Peel the skin off the seed and eat the mango right off the seed. This is messy. I usually just do this over the sink so I can wash the juice off my hands (and sometimes arms) when I’m done. The part of the mango closest to the seed is usually the most flavorful so don’t miss out on it! Also, It’s fun to be a messy eater every once in a while!
Like most fruits, mangoes have a lot of health benefits so I’ll just name a few. Mangoes are high in vitamin A, many of the B vitamins, potassium and have antioxidant properties. Now go get your mango cutting on!